Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Gun control and my thoughts

So, social media sites have been ablaze with posts for and against gun control since the recent school shooting. Thought I'd throw my two cents in. I don't follow the politics of gun control, or all the terminology. So you're not going to hear a logical debate here. Just my thoughts and feelings.

Once upon a time, I would have been all for gun control. I am a pacifist. I don't like violence. I don't like killing. A bad person with a gun will use it to harm or kill somebody. I had no problem with rifles, shotguns, etc., because those are used for hunting, and rarely used for personal acts of violence. (Though I have some hang-ups about hunting as well).

A handgun's sole purpose, however, is for shooting people. You don't hunt with a handgun. I had little problem with the idea that all handguns should be rounded up, bought back, whatever. Though the logical side of me argued back that if that were to happen, only bad guys would have guns.

This particular line of thinking was reinforced by the fact that I would have a quiet little anxiety attack every time I saw a gun, handguns in particular. Since it was rare that I ever actually saw one though, I never really took time to think through why I had developed that particular phobia. On very rare occasions, family or friends would target practice and I would try to join in, but my anxiety was so high that I would miss terribly.

Several things caused me to re-evaluate my stance on handguns. About a year ago, I made a friend who occasionally carries a pistol, and he wanted to target practice. He offered to let me practice as well, but my anxiety was so great from even holding a gun, that as usual I did terribly. All I could focus on was trying to make my anxiety indiscernible and hide the fact my hands were shaking.

Being afraid of something pisses me off and makes me more likely to confront whatever it is I'm afraid of, because I don't like knowing something out there has a power over me, or brings out an uncontrollable reaction.

So I asked myself one night -- You seem to be afraid of guns. Especially handguns. Why?

The answer stemmed from an incident in high school. I was dating a guy whose family was very into guns. His brother was somewhat unstable, and during an argument with my boyfriend, he drew a pistol on him. I was standing next to my boyfriend, and I suddenly realized that if this went bad, I likely would be shot too. He had no beef with me, but I would have been a witness and people do crazy things in the heat of the moment.

I don't want to carry that fear any longer. Due to my husband's job, I'm essentially a woman living on her own.Someone may try to break in, or I may get accosted while walking the dogs at night. I want to be able to take of and protect myself and my family.  I also recognize the fact that if some people had been armed during the shootings at the movie theater and school, that the end result could have ended up very different.

So no. I no longer advocate gun control. In fact, I support people having handguns. The reasons why are personal and selfish, but the ends justify the means. It doesn't really matter why I personally want guns to remain legal, so long as they remain so.

I'm also considering getting training and a concealed weapons permit, though I'm waiting till the financial timing is right.

So, there's my $.02.




No comments:

Post a Comment